- Events & Concerts
- Support Us
- Contact Us
- Members SING!
Singing with GNHCC
The Greater New Haven Community Chorus is a non-auditioned, four part (SATB) chorus with a membership over 100 voices. Our singers have very diverse backgrounds—ranging from those who are highly skilled to those who have never sung in a chorus before. GNHCC provides a very welcoming and supportive atmosphere for everyone. A strong commitment to performance excellence is expected and there are opportunities for small ensemble work and solos by audition, including the auditioned GNHCC Chamber Choir. Participation each semester in a one day retreat is encouraged to help build choral skills and to provide an opportunity to socialize with other members of the chorus. Chorus members are also encouraged to share individual skills with the GNHCC to help fulfill its mission.
To join GNHCC, prospective members are invited to attend two rehearsals as guests before joining. This provides an opportunity for interested singers to meet the chorus and to see if GNHCC provides the atmosphere that they are looking for. The enrollment period for new members is the first three weeks of each semester. Singers who miss the enrollment period and wish to join mid-semester must speak directly with the Artistic Director.
Registration fees are $50.00 per person per semester ($75.00 for couple of same household). Fees are collected at the beginning of each semester and are non-refundable. Member registration fees must be paid within three weeks of the start of the semester and may be paid by cash, check, or PayPal.
Our season consists of 2 semesters, Fall and Spring. We perform two major concerts each year: a Winter Concert in December, and a Spring Concert in late May or early June. In addition, various ‘Preview Concerts’ and community performances are frequently scheduled prior to our major concerts.
Rehearsals are held every Thursday evening at 7:00 PM at First Presbyterian Church, 704 Whitney Avenue, New Haven. As part of the rehearsal process, an all-chorus retreat is held once each semester. Typically the retreat takes place on a Saturday—specific details are announced prior to the scheduled retreat.
Singer Responsibilities and Expectations
To fulfill our mission of achieving the highest standard of choral music, GNHCC singers should:
- Attend and actively participate in weekly rehearsals in preparation for each semester’s concert.
- Be prompt; arrive for each rehearsal and be ready to sing at 7:00 p.m.
- Speak with the section coordinator if not able to arrive to rehearsal on time.
- Notify the Artistic Director if not able to participate in several rehearsals.
- Address any questions to the appropriate section coordinator.
- Participate in the GNHCC Committee activities.
- Promote the concerts through the ticket sales and acquiring sponsorships.
- Participate in the planned singing activities in the community when possible.
Share individual skills with the GNHCC organization in helping to fulfill its mission.
- Contribute to the overall success of GNHCC by giving your full attention to the conductor, learning the music, respecting others, and being courteous at all times.
- Stay up-to-date and informed of rehearsal and performance schedules, music notations, and other key announcements.
- If for any reason you are unable to complete the semester, please inform the Artistic Director, your Section Coordinator, and at least one of either Membership, Music or Concert Committee Chairs. All borrowed music must be returned immediately.
GNHCC Chamber Choir at World AIDS Day ~ December 2012